A Call to Artists
Moving Landscapes: an outdoor sculpture exhibit
Heritage Museums & Gardens, Sandwich, MA
May 18 – October 27, 2013
Heritage Museums & Gardens invites artists, designers and engineers to participate in an outdoor sculpture exhibit of solar, wind, water, and human-powered kinetic sculpture for the 2013 season. The juried show will be sited throughout our 100-acre grounds of open vistas, meandering paths, a neighboring pond, secluded spaces, and flowering gardens. Works may be offered for sale by the artist. The exhibit offers artists and engineers the opportunity to create a work that will
• Surprise, intrigue, and engage viewers using natural resources to create movement
• Involve viewers with creating the movement
• Attract viewers to contemplative spaces and secluded spots of Heritage’s grounds through use of movement and vertical space.
• Utilize sequential movement along the length of paths
• Incorporate the concept of how movement changes landscapes and visitors’ perceptions of space
Artists and designers submitting proposals should consider the following:
• Approximately 90,000 people will visit Heritage during the run of the exhibition. Heritage’s attendance reflects visitors to Cape Cod from all New England states, New York, New Jersey as well as international tourists to the area.
• Heritage’s audience comprises families, adults without children, and adults with young children
• That work should be durable and able to withstand the elements and repeated visitor interaction and engagement
• That would should be easy to install without heavy equipment
• That work have self-contained sources of power
An open house will be held on Friday, October 19, 2012 from 2-4pm for artists to learn more about the project and to visit the grounds on which the sculptures will be displayed.
All design submissions will be due by midnight November 18, 2012. The design submissions should be mailed to Moving Landscapes Project, Attn: Jan Crocker, Exhibits Manager, Heritage Museums & Gardens, 67 Grove St., Sandwich, MA 02563.
All submissions must include:
• The application sheet which may be downloaded at http://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/ex ... andscapes/
• No more than 4 sketches of the design
• A written description of the physical support base for the sculpture
• A list of the materials to be used
• A statement about the sculpture of no more than 250 words
• Physical dimensions of the sculpture
• Type of natural resource to be utilized i.e. wind, solar, water, human-powered
All submissions will be reviewed by a professional jury the beginning of December. Applicants will be notified of the selection of designs no later than December 20, 2012.
All sculpture must be available for installation by May 1, 2013. Installation dates and times will be assigned prior to the exhibit opening date of May 18, 2013.
Questions should be directed to Jan Crocker, Exhibits Manager, 508-888-3300 x102, email@example.com.
How to design, build, and race a sculpture
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests